Spotlight on Students, Faculty, Staff, Alumni or Programs!
The Bishop McNamara High School Athletics Department celebrated National Signing Day for 15 student-athletes who have signed National Letters of Intent for scholarships with colleges and universities all over the country.
The guest speaker for the event was Jerome Couplin III, a BMHS graduate class of 2009, who played football during his time at the Bishop McNamara, and then went on to play in the National Football League for such teams as the Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles.
"Remember your core values that you learned here – they will take you a long way, not just through college, but through life," said Couplin.
The event was emotional and exciting as parents and student-athletes celebrated alongside theBishop McNamara coaches, faculty and staff. Students shared moving words of gratitude and empowerment as each of them gave brief speeches after their collegi ate announcements. They thanked their parents and teammates, and they each expressed their appreciation in their own way for the influence of their peers and coaches, and the lessons they had been taught.
"It has been such a long journey to this point in my life and I am blessed, excited and happy that I am here," said DeMia Goddard.
"We all mature over time; and as we separate, we never really separate because we're family," said Stanton Askew.
BMHS President/CEO Dr. Marco Clark, a class of 1985 alumnus, closed the ceremony with words of wisdom and encouragement.
"You can either make the decision to go along with the crowd, or you can be Mustangs, and you can blaze your own trail," said Dr. Clark.
Those honored on National Signing Day 2018 are:
- Spencer Anderson (Football) University of Maryland, College Park
- Stanton Askew - (Football) Shepherd University
- Madison Beavers - (Women's Soccer) Long Island University
- Joseph Boone (Men's Soccer) Mt. St. Mary's University
- Geoffrey Brown - (Football) Merrimack College
- David Brownlee - (Football) University of Maryland
- Lauryn Davis (Volleyball) - Stevenson University
- Trinity Dixon - (Women's Lacrosse) Bethany College
- Robert Edwards - (Football) Dodge City Community College
- DeMia Goddard - (Volleyball) Coppin State University
- Taylor Grimes (Track and Field) - Georgia Institute of Technology
- Rulondo Holland - (Football) Stonehill College
- Kiyanna Jackson (Women's Lacrosse) - Howard University
- Jeremiah McCain (Men's Track & Field) - Lee University, TN
- Steven Scott II - (Football) Bowie State University
Our congratulations to all these student-athletes for their outstanding accomplishments!
For more information about the Bishop McNamara High School Athletic Department and National Signing Day at BMHS, please contact Mr. Anthony Johnson at Anthony.Johnson@bmhs.org or visit our Athletic Department pages on the website at Athletics.
For more on the event included a video of the ceremony, go to Bishop McNamara High School Facebook page.
National Signing Day
National Signing Day, usually the first Wednesday of February, is the first day that a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for a collegiate sport with a school that is a member of the United States National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).