Service Program Requirements
- Read through this email carefully to get a grasp of the new structure of the Holy Cross Service Program.
- Due October 13, 2020: Fill out the google form Part One: Identify your Comfort Zone Challenge
- Make the arrangements to complete the service opportunity for your CZC.
- Due March 17: Once the service hours for the CZC are completed, fill out google form Part Two: Reflect and Be Curious
- Due April 30: To complete the CZC, write and submit the three-paragraph reflection paper to the google form Part Three: Reflection Paper
"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High."
- We hope our students will have an experience that allows them to: develop a habit of giving back to their community, to step outside of their comfort zone and challenge themselves, to reflect on their experience, and to learn more about the population in which they served.
- We also hope that the changes in our program will provide more flexibility for our families.
One part is the “Required Hours” This is intended to help our students build a habit of giving back to the community, and from now on, these hours can be done not only at non-profits but in other community settings such as one’s church, BMHS, or one’s neighborhood.
The other part is the “Comfort Zone Challenge” (CZC). This Is the part of the program where we want our students to have at least one experience each year serving in a way with which they have not yet become familiar - something they have not already done. This is intended to address our other goals for our students, that they challenge themselves out of their comfort zone, reflect and learn from their experience.
- Due to COVID-19 and this coming Fall being unpredictable, for the 2020-2021 school year, every student will only need to complete 5 hours of service.
- All 5 hours may be done virtually/remotely, but no matter what In order to document hours that have been completed, students will fill out a Service Verification Form, have it signed, and submit it electronically to this Google Form.
The first step to completing the Comfort Zone Challenge is filling out the google form Part One: Identify your Comfort Zone Challenge. This form is designed to help you figure out what it will be and where you can go to serve in that area. We ask student and parent(s)/guardian(s) to sit down together to fill out this form; we think this will help you identify a CZC that both challenges the student but also works with the family’s schedule.
The second part of the CZC occurs after the actual CZC service experience identified in Part One has been completed. Part Two: Reflect and Be Curious. This form is designed to help the student begin to reflect about what they encountered during their CZC hours and what they are curious about. They will identify a question that they want to learn more about in relation to the service that they have completed or the population that they served. Similarly to the Part One Google Form, We ask student and parent(s)/guardian(s) to sit down together to fill out this form; this way the student has someone with whom they will verbally process their experience, which will make filling out the form easier and more effective.
The final step in the CZC is to write a 3 paragraph reflection paper and upload it on the google form Part Three: Reflection Paper. This will ask students to write about their experience, share some of what they’ve learned by researching their curiosity question, and reflect on how their experience connects to faith and/or justice. The reflection paper guidelines are in that google form.
In order to have met all of the Holy Cross Service Program requirements, a student must have submitted at least one Service Verification Form, verifying a total of at least 5 hours of service between all submitted forms. These 5 hours of service can be volunteering in any focus area. In addition to the Service Verification Form of 5 hours, the student needs to complete the Comfort Zone Challenge. The Comfort Zone Challenge consists of 3 Google Forms: Part One: Identify your CZC, *completes service hours in the CZC area identified in the form* then fill out Part Two: Reflection and Curiosity, then write a three-paragraph reflection paper(guidelines here) and submit it to Part Three: CZC Reflection Paper. All 5 of the “Required Hours” can be completed with the CZC or can be completed in any focus area.
Visit our service program FAQs for additional information.