Service Program Requirements
"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High."
Service Program Requirements for the 2019-2020 School Year (starting June 7, 2019)
Frequently Asked Questions about the Service Program
List of Pre-Approved Service Opportunities
Service Verification Form
Approval Request Form
Service Agreement & Action Plan (only accessible by BMHS students signed into student email as the primary account)*
*Like many google forms from our school, these forms are only accessible by the student(s) intended to take responsibility for completing them. The forms require a student to be signed into his or her BMHS gmail account as the primary account in the internet browser or application. If you are a student and you receive the message "You do not have permission," you must sign out of all the google accounts you are logged into in your browser (Chrome or Safari), and then sign back in to your BMHS account before signing into any other google accounts.
- Service work must be for an organization, not for an individual, in order to count for the Holy Cross Service Program. These organizations must be pre-approved by Campus Ministry.
- Students in the 9th and 10th grades must work directly with people in their assigned focus area.
- Help given to one's family, friends, school, sports team, or club is not considered a part of the Holy Cross Service Program. This includes all BMHS activities (i.e. Open House, theatrical/musical performances, tutoring, etc.)
- Students may not miss school to earn service hours.
- Students will not be credited for more than 5 hours on a school night or 7 hours on a non-school day.
- Complete and submit the Service Agreement & Action Plan.
- Find a site/organization on the List of Pre-Approved Opportunities for your grade level. Please contact the organization before volunteering.
- If your service site is not on the List of Pre-Approved Opportunities, you must complete the Approval Request Form on our website and receive approval BEFORE you participate in the service activity in order for completed service hours to be accepted for credit.
- Complete the top portion of the Service Verification Form. Take it with you when you volunteer.
- When you have completed your service activity, have your service supervisor sign, date, and document the number of hours you volunteered.
- Complete the description of the service you did and sign the bottom.
- Submit the completed verification form to Campus Ministry within 1 month of beginning of your service. Any service done in the summer must be submitted no later than September 27.
- Any service not on the List of Pre-Approved Opportunities must be approved before volunteering. Requests for approval are made by submitting the Approval Request Form.
- Once you submit the online form, you should receive an email reply within 48 hours from Mrs. Herndon, the Campus Ministry Assistant, letting you know if your request is approved or denied.
- If the site or the work you'll be doing is not acceptable, you may complete the hours, but the hours will not be credited towards your grade level requirement.